Pacifica Viola da Gamba Society
- Next PlayDay Saturday, October 14, with Josh Lee!
- PlayDays and coaches for 2023-24:
Sept. 9: Frances Blaker
Oct. 14: Josh Lee
Nov. 11: Lisa Terry
Dec. 9: Shira Kammen
Jan. 13: Alexa Pilon
Feb. 10: Shanon Zusman
Mar. 9: David Miller
Apr. 13: David Morris (a special event: “Voices and Viols”)
May 11: Julie Jeffrey
June 8: Pacifica BASH (members recital and potluck lunch)
- PlayDays are free for members of Pacifica Viola da Gamba Society. If you are not a member and would like to try out a PlayDay, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- PlayDays are held at Hillside Urban Sanctuary (formerly Hillside Community Church), 1422 Navillier Rd, El Cerrito CA 94530.
- For more information and registration (required) see PlayDay Registration.
About the Chapter
The Pacifica Viola da Gamba Society (PVdGS; also known as “Pacifica Viols”) is an association of viol enthusiasts in the broader San Francisco Bay Area, one of the most active early music centers in the U.S. Members include players (from novice to advanced), instrument makers, teachers and performers. If you love the music of the viola da gamba, or want to learn more about it, consider joining the Pacifica Viola da Gamba Society, a chapter of the national Viola da Gamba Society of America. To join, click here for our Membership page.
Member benefits include:
- free MONTHLY PLAYDAYS from September to May (usually the second Saturday of the month). Our morning group session, led by a professional musician, is followed by both coached and informal consort playing sessions.
- a performance opportunity at our informal members’ recital of solos and consorts in June.
- our monthly members’ e-newsletter, containing information about the upcoming PlayDay and members’ activities, as well as upcoming concerts, workshops, and other events featuring the viol.
- the opportunity to rent a viol and bow from our collection of instruments for only $35/month.
- access to resource lists on our website, e.g., local viol teachers and where to get your viol repaired.
We support education and outreach activities related to the viol, and offer scholarships for students to attend viol workshops such as VIOLS WEST; this week-long intensive workshop in San Luis Obispo, organized by Pacifica Viols, is open to members and non-members alike (members of Pacifica Viola da Gamba Society receive a discount on registration fees).