About the Chapter
The Viola da Gamba Society-Pacifica, a chapter of the Viola da Gamba Society of America,
is an association of viol enthusiasts in the San Francisco Bay Area.
We enjoy playing chamber music of the sixteenth through eighteenth
centuries (as well as some contemporary music) from England, France,
Italy and Germany on treble, tenor and bass viols. Members include
novice to advanced players, instrument makers, teachers and performers.
- Monthly Saturday meetings for playing in ensembles with players of similar ability and coached by leading professional players. We meet on the 2nd Saturday of the month (Sep-Jan, Mar-Jun), in El Cerrito. The class and coached ensemble time is from 9 a.m. to noon, then we have our bag lunches and uncoached ensemble playing in the afternoon.
- Monthly Gamba News newsletter, September through June.
- Viol rental program. For information on currently available instruments and rates, contact Lynn Lipetzky.
- Referrals to local viol teachers.
- Cost of a normal membership is $45 per year, a student membership is $15 per year, and a household membership is $55 per year, all of which includes attendance at the monthly consort meetings and the chapter's email announcements and monthly newsletter. A $15 non-playing membership includes the email announcements and monthly newsletter only.
- To join or for more information, please fill out the membership form or email the Chapter.
Chapter Monthly Meetings, 2018-2019
|Farley Pearce ||TBD
Chapter Monthly Meetings, 2012-2018
Other Gamba Workshops
|Annual Workshop of the VdGS - Southern Arizona Chapter||Viola da Gamba Society--Southern Arizona|
|March 14, 2018, 10am|
Master Class with Paolo Pandolfo in Berkeley. All levels of playing are welcome and encouraged to apply! These can include individual lessons, or small ensembles. And auditors are also welcome to attend. Contact Paolo Pandolfo to apply.
Tuition: $100 individual, $120 small ensemble, $30 auditors
Location: 2954 Shasta Rd. Berkeley
|2017 VdGSA Conclave at Western Carolina University, Cullowhee, North Carolina||Viola da Gamba Society of America|
|August 5-11 (tentative),|
|Viols West Workshop, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, California||Viols West Workshop|
Chapter Officers and Board Members, 2016-2018
|President, Play Day Consort Coordinator||Cindi Olwell|
|Vice President||Ricardo Hofer|
|Treasurer, Membership List Manager, VdGSA Representative||Ellen Fisher|
|Newsletter Editor||Sue Jones|
|VdGSA Representative||Carolyn Butler|
|Instrument Rental Program Coordinator||Carolyn |
|Viols West Coordinator||Melita Denny
|Play Day Coach Liaison||Alice Benedict|
|Past President||Dalton Cantey
|Member at Large||Peter Ballinger
|Member at Large||John Dornenburg
|Member at Large||Robin Easterbrook
|Member at Large||Mary Elliott
|Member at Large||Stuart Elliott
|Member at Large||Ellen Farwell
|Member at Large||Julie Jeffrey
|Member at Large||Elisabeth Reed
- None currently. Ads are free for members. Please email webmaster to place an ad.
Early Music Links
Viola da Gamba Society-Pacifica is an affiliate
of the San Francisco Early Music Society
For further information, contact our chapter president: Cindi Olwell.
For site corrections/questions, contact: Webmaster